The strategic purpose of NGIC is to improve the coordination and to integrate the efforts of the existing scientific infrastructure networks in the Republic of Bulgaria for unification the primary results into a single integrated geoinformation center, their cooperative analysis for assessment, forecasting and prevention of natural and anthropogenic risks and disasters and inclusion in European networks and projects for the development of Earth Sciences.
The specific purposesof the infrastructure project are:
- Creating a new science-based ICT infrastructure to develop integrated products with aim to reduce damage from natural disasters and industrial accidents based on primary geo-information products from available monitoring networks.
- Improvement of the technical infrastructure (available and new monitoring networks) to obtain up-to-date and reliable data on the geo-environment in the country.
- Ensure continued access of governmental institutions and local authorities to the new ICT infrastructure and staff training to develop effective and efficient plans to prevent and protect the population from major damage caused by natural disasters and industrial accidents.
- Expanding the territorial range of the ICT geo-data base and developing new integrated products by including in active European geographic networks and participating in European infrastructure projects and interacting with infrastructural networks on the Balkan Peninsula, intensifying the partnership for data exchange and results.
- Raising the awareness of the population about natural disasters and industrial accidents through new interactive products – creation of an information system for promotion of the NGIC and the obtained results.
- Interaction with business through technology and commercialization of the scientific results of the NGIC’s activities.